The date of foundation of the village of La Horra goes back to century IX. Placed in a small slope, is protected o the northley winds by an extensive and dense pine forest. His fame and prestige comes from, in part, of his wines and wine-cellars. The vineyards occupy the majority of his territory.
From time immemorial, La Horra is one of the leading towns in the cultivation and production – in quantity and quality as well- of the famous wines protected today by the Guarantee of Origin “Ribera del Duero”.
La Horra was freed itself from the jurisdiction of Roa and acquired his title of Village by Real Executory Letter of Exemption of Jurisdiction, offered by the King Felipe V, at the Farm of San Ildefonso on date July 11, 1725, ones the consent of the Count of Siruela, The Lord of these lands by then, and guarantee of 350.000 “maravedis ” of fleece to the real chests. From that date, our town has been writing his own history separated from Roa until now.
The parish church is the most important monument of the village; his classical façade is a work of Domingo de Ondátegui , basque architect that in the century XVIII settles himself in La Horra and takes part in the construction of several architectural works, emphasizing, among others, the great tower of the cathedral of El Burgo de Osma and the restoration of the Santa Tecla's chapel of the Cathedral of Burgos.
The façade of the church, with his great arch, is dated in the year 1780. The whole is magnificent and the details of the works that surrounds the niche of the Virgin and the cross that crown the work guarantee the “good way of working” of the artist.
The interior of the church is composed of three naves called “of parlor”. The altarpiece of the greater altar is neoclassical. The central size, of the century XVII, represents the Assumption of Our Lady, the patron saint of the parish. Inside the altar stand out for his art and antiquity, two bas-reliefs of the century XII, representing, by one side the arrival of the Saint Spirit on the Virgin and the apostles, and by the other the “Dormición” of Our Lady.
La Horra has the honour to be the first locality in which was introduced the variety of Cabernet Sauvignon. The grape was brought from Burdeos for the French Brother Martin Dumas and because of which was founded the first house of his congregation in La Horra. The first Brothers arrived at La Horra in 1909, leaded by this superior.
La Horra's festivities are in February 12 , festivity of Saint Eulalie of Barcelona and in August 15, solemnity of the Assumption of Our Lady.
La Horra is a city council of the province of Burgos , placed to 76 kilometers of the capital and only a 7 kilometers to the north of Roa, in the Rivera del Duero region, to 802 meters of altitude.
It has a population of 417 inhabitants (1.174 regarding the census dated on 1900) and his municipal district occupies an area of 30,06 km2 .